The boomerang principle was on my mind recently as I sought God, so I shared about it to an Indigenous friend. Amazingly, my friend had just been considering establishing a trademark involving a boomerang design. There was a sense of divine confirmation and joy.
In essence, God laid on my heart that a boomerang travels a circular path to return to the one who throws it. I sensed that the preaching of the gospel was first to those in Jerusalem and then to go forth to all nations.
This is what Jesus said to his disciples, as he opened their minds, in Luke chapter 24 and verses 46- 47, “… The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”
Jesus opened their minds to understand that he, the Messiah, must suffer to atone for our sins, thus confirming Isaiah chapter 53, this to release the boomerang of God’s gospel mandate.
Of course, a boomerang returns. Paul shared that one day, “all Israel will be saved.”
I sense prophetically, God is gearing up to that fulfilment. And that Indigenous are to play a key role in preaching to and standing with the Jews in this final hour to see revival and a turning to the Lord.
Firstly though, let me share some verses that helped inspire the boomerang principle, that came as a revelation.
1. God made all in Genesis chapter 1, history bursts forth from that time and culminates with a return to the beginning. In Isaiah chapter 66 and in the New Testament we see references to a new heaven and earth being established. That’s a circular path.
2. In Genesis chapter 12 God sent Abraham out, he stumbled to follow God’s will, and then in Chapter 13 he returns to the place where he began. Verses 3 and 4 read, “From the Negev he went from place to place until he came to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had been earlier and where he had first built an altar. There Abram called on the name of the Lord.”
3. In Acts chapter 13, the Holy Spirit set apart Barnabas and Saul for the work he had for them. Then, in Acts chapter 14, verses 26 and 27, “From Attalia they sailed back to Antioch, where they had been committed to the grace of God for the work they had now completed. On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them …”
Boomerang principle applications
1. God starts things and has an ultimate finishing goal that’s always on course; we see this in his broader creation plan. He takes us back to the original design and purpose for which he ordained it. “He who began a good work will bring it to completion.” That’s a promise for you today.
Your dream may seem shattered or buried, but God has a way to bring things to pass. Walk in the spirit, the spirit enabled Sarah to give birth to Isaac, and is a picture of this grace covenant.
2. The enemy will seek to derail God’s plan, and like Abraham we can go off course, but God in his grace helps us go back to the start and have another try. Do you need to try things again in some way? See the failure as a dress rehearsal, and so you know what to look out for in your next attempt.
3. Paul and Barnabas went forth from Antioch and returned there with great experiences to strengthen the home base. It reminds me again of a boomerang’s flight. Here we see God equips us in a home church and sends us forth to take ground for him and see souls saved so we can return to enrich our spiritual home and family.
Indigenous Australians hold the boomerang
It is interesting that William Cooper, an Indigenous Australian and activist, knowing God’s heart for Israel from the scriptures, stood for the Jews during the Holocaust.
On December 6, 1938, several weeks after Kristallnacht in Germany, where hundred of Jewish businesses were destroyed and great persecution began against Jewish people, he led a delegation to the German consulate in Melbourne to petition against the cruel persecution.
Israeli people have planted trees in honour of Cooper in the Forest of Martyrs near Jerusalem and there is also a memorial to him at the city’s Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum.
Friends, this is the boomerang principle. Some would argue that Cooper was the only one in the world to make a very public stand in the face of the terrors of war. I sense God began something and he wants to take to conclusion. Cooper is the seed.
I encourage all, especially my Indigenous friends to reach Jewish people for Christ. They are to see the harvest initiated and sown by Cooper.
I sense Israel will be blessed by your heart of purity for God, and your grace to not be a slave to mammon, but instead how you love people deeply from the heart.
As true custodians of land I sense a time of great reaping and prosperity and enterprise, and as owners, that will attract favour and interest from Jewish people.
Like a Joseph, who carried God’s presence, and who had to forgive much, you will impact the Jewish people who need to know God is good despite all that happened in the past.
And lastly, this is the day and season for Indigenous businesspeople to partner and covenant with Israel to do trade, develop and restore Indigenous communities and leverage of each other’s strengths, also as a key means to bless Israel and help them hear the gospel.
I sense great blessings as these things are prioritized.
Mark Rusic was born in Melbourne and has a bachelor in Mechanical engineering. He became a missionary to many suffering hardship and poverty on Madura Island in Indonesia, for about 4 years, from 1990. He has worked as a pastor-life coach over the past 17 years in Hope International Ministries. Mark is also an artist and author and has also written two books which are a collection of his own paintings, photography and poetry. These include ‘Iconic Melbourne of Australia’ and ‘Iconic Animals of Australia with a voice to release your giant potential within.’ He has been counted among some of Australia’s best-selling authors since 2014 and is a public speaker in various community groups, organisations and churches. He has a special grace to help people find and release why they were born. See iconiccolours.com for more information about Mark’s services.