God has given us the keys of his kingdom to release heaven on earth. When used they give us a wonderful spiritual foretaste and appetiser to Jesus returning to fully establish his kingdom on earth as it is in heaven, and to completely eradicate darkness.
Are we holding these keys and using them?
Keys and gates in bible times
In bible times the main gate was the point of access to a city with high surrounding walls. Without watchmen using their keys or with sleepy watchmen at the gates of the city, if enemies could gain access, it was precarious.
A city typically had an outer wall of defence and an inner wall with a thoroughfare in between. It was the busiest and most important part of the city, where people continually streamed in and out.
It was a marketplace to buy food and goods. It was a gathering place to administer law. Elders gathered there to decide on important community matters. It was a place to preach and declare God’s word to the city inhabitants. Covenants and agreements were also ratified at the gates.
The bottom line was if you possessed or controlled the gate, you possessed and controlled a city. And it’s the same today for us, without God’s gate keepers taking charge in our cities we are vulnerable. Let me explain.
Jesus told Peter he was a gate keeper
In Matthew chapter 16 Jesus told Peter that he carried a revelation from heaven in knowing that Jesus was the messiah. And he told him that “On this rock I will build my church and gates of hell will not prevail against it.”
Gate keepers carry the keys to open and secure the gates. Jesus went on to say, “I give you the keys of the kingdom.” Peter was authorised to release the authority of God’s kingdom on earth. Satan’s domain could be destroyed. Doors of ministry, with soul winning, opened for him as we see in the book of Acts. This is ever relevant for us today also.
God is calling gate keepers for our city
Like Peter, Christians everywhere are called to be spiritual gate keepers and release their heavenly authority. These ones, who hold their keys tightly, are the following kind of people:
1. They experience great joy and hope in Christ and love sharing their faith and soul winning. Their keys open the hearts of people as “fishers of men.”
2. They see their profession primarily as a means and a platform to share godly values and bring God’s love and an eternal hope into society and to bring godly reforms. Their keys open up specific areas of ministry and positions in the arts, media, business, etc… to make God’s kingdom and God’s word prominent in the marketplace. There is bible study in the board room, not just at a church meeting place, and with discipleship and prayer as a comfort and support. It’s for both dealing wisely, seeing breakthrough in family relationships and other important areas, and corporate decision making that blesses society and glorifies Christ.
3. They understand how to walk in God’s specific will and release his prophetic voice in the marketplace so people see the reality of God’s love and rule. The spirit of God speaks to them from the word of God giving keys to make God’s plans for their life that are tangible.
4. They are able to prophesy to people, heal the sick and move in spiritual gifts to become his witnesses and salt and light to the world. The keys release God’s kingdom on earth as it is in heaven, so people are in awe.
5. They not only share the lost but help people find Christ as Lord and become his disciples. They teach people how to practically know their identity in Christ and walk in the commands of Christ. For example, in Matthew chapter 18 Jesus commanded Peter to walk in his forgiveness. We can be set free from bitterness and see reconciliation.
6. They love the church of Jesus despite all its failings and have a fire to bless God’s household and serve.
7. The keys of the kingdom also enable them, as they pray, to open new territories and spheres for God’s kingdom and new churches to arise. No place is too resistant. God has keys for every situation.
Hold on to your keys!
It is interesting that when Jesus gave Peter the keys of the kingdom that Satan immediately tried to steal them. Peter was beguiled by Satan, exalting of the things of man, he denied the need for the cross. Jesus told Satan to get behind him.
So too, Satan wants to steal them from the body of Christ today. Indeed, theft has been happening on a grand scale throughout the ages. Think of the many churches today that no longer major on the cross of Christ and the need for true repentance. Many times, ministry is replaced by purely motivational, humanistic preaching with scripted eloquence and underpinned with management alone, but without life flow. People tire and grow weary.
Friends. Let us not lose our keys! Christ has liberated us from the sinful nature, and when we are baptised in the spirit we are awakened to heavenly citizenship. Hold firm and go forth today in Christ’s command, Matthew chapter 28, Verses 18-20, championing godliness and the faith in the gates and key places of influence in your city!
No matter how weak you feel or disappointed from life, remember that you were ordained by God to take the gate of your city by his grace; see Genesis chapter 22, verse17 and Judges chapter 16, verses 1-3.
Mark Rusic was born in Melbourne and has a bachelor in Mechanical engineering. He became a missionary to many suffering hardship and poverty on Madura Island in Indonesia, for about 4 years, from 1990. He has worked as a pastor-life coach over the past 17 years in Hope International Ministries. Mark is also an artist and author and has also written two books which are a collection of his own paintings, photography and poetry. These include ‘Iconic Melbourne of Australia’ and ‘Iconic Animals of Australia with a voice to release your giant potential within.’ He has been counted among some of Australia’s best-selling authors since 2014 and is a public speaker in various community groups, organisations and churches. He has a special grace to help people find and release why they were born. See iconiccolours.com for more information about Mark’s services.