Faith is unshakable confidence in God the creator. It is believing without a doubt that God is who he says he is and will do what he says he will do.
Extend your faith
God is a promise keeping God, he is not a man that he should lie. Jeremiah chapter 29, verse 11 says, “‘For I know the plans I have for you’, declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’.”
In 2016 I took a huge step of faith. I started a journey not knowing how I was going to make it through, not knowing the trials ahead, but confidently knowing that God would never leave me. That was my comfort.
When I got accepted into the University of the West Indies (UWI) I did not know how I was going to finance the journey, there were people who doubted but I was determined to extend my faith no matter what. That decision was one of the greatest steps of faith in my life. I watched Jehovah Jireh open doors of opportunities, doors that I would not even imagine being open, he sent assistance from numerous individuals and organizations throughout the journey. He sustained me, and he supplied every need I had according to his will. He has truly been a faithful father.
In November of 2019 I graduated from the UWI with a Bachelor of science degree in Biochemistry. This was only possible because I extended my faith in God and depended on him to take care of me. I can relate to Lamentations chapter 3, verse 25 “The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.”
When I think about one extending their faith in God without knowing the outcome, the story of Abraham comes to mind. He was willing to offer up his only son as a burnt offering unto the Lord. Abraham’s faith in God was so strong, his obedience showed the level of trust, reverence and fear he had for God. Abraham passed the test by extending his faith in the Most High God. Although he was prepared to offer his son as a sacrifice, God provided a ram just in time as the alternative.
From my childhood, it was my desire to one day become a doctor. In 2016 I applied to two medical schools and was not accepted. As a result, I had to turn to something else (Biochemistry). It was disappointing at first, but then I was encouraged, I told myself, things will work out once it is God's will. I purposed in my heart that with God’s help I would pursue this dream no matter the route I had to take.
In this Christian journey it is important to know that God’s timing is not man’s timing. If we do not get an instant answer to a prayer or things do not go as we planned, it does not mean that God is not hearing. He hears and will work things out according to his will, in his timing.
On September 9, 2019, God answered a prayer that I have been praying for years. Not only was I accepted into medical school, I also received an 80% scholarship. At the least expected time God showed up. When I received this great news, I accepted the offer even though I did not know where the remaining 20% was going to come from.
I was reminded of Isaiah chapter 41, verse 10 “So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. All I had to do was to extend my faith in God.
I am now in my second year for medical school, and God has been opening doors of opportunities, he has been blessing me beyond measure. This is indeed a journey of faith and I know without a doubt that God will see me through.
Be encouraged, God will never leave you alone, when you trust and have faith in him he will show up at the right time. The three Hebrew boys mentioned in Daniel chapter 3, decided that they would never bow to the king’s idol. As a result of their stance, they were thrown into the fiery furnace, but God delivered them because of their faith in him. It does not matter what you are faced with in this life. Rest assured that you have someone that deeply cares for you.
“Cast all your anxiety on him (Jesus) because he cares for you”, ( 1 Peter chapter 5, verse 7).
I am Victoria Richards, a fourth-year medical student at the University of the West Indies, Jamaica. Serving the Lord brings me joy. I enjoy sharing the gospel through singing, writing poetry and encouraging others.