Australia has been afflicted and ravaged by so many disasters over the past two years. Drought, floods, bushfires and then COVID-19 outbreak with its consequent economic devastation. Have you wondered what God is doing or saying through it all? Has God abandoned us; can we do anything? I believe he wants us to be full of hope. Let me share my journey.
Have you heard of the Blake prize? It is a national Australian art show which seeks to engage artists to portray Christ and the Christian faith through art. It began in 1951 and the fact that it has endured, despite the potent onslaught of secularism generally, speaks to me of the strength and resilience of our Christian heritage as a nation.
What has that got to do with 7 cows, you ask?
Today, decades on, are you surprised if you I tell you the strength of our heritage and resilient faith has been declining? I recall reading an article about the Blake prize, written by a secular journalist. He made a scathing attack of the event saying, in my paraphrased version: ‘It has degenerated into the greatest advertisement to atheism in our country today!’
While I’m not saying he got it right, I saw the need for “7 cows;” let me explain.
God showed me 7 cows
Back in 2018 I heard a talk about the Blake prize and felt God say to enter the art show as an artist. In the beginning of 2019, in February I got a vision from the Lord about what to paint. My wife gave me a book at the time about painting masterpieces. I wrote on the cover of the book what I had begun to visualise in the spirit: Seven cows coming out of a river. I completed this, my first masterpiece, early March 2020 (see photo above).
The spirit of God told me that the 7 prosperous cows coming from the left, are coming to eat the seven sickly cows. These sickly ones include a COVID-19 cow which lays down suffering, in a lock down mode, in the Victoria region, which certainly confirms I heard God to paint this! It’s similar to the bible story about Joseph. My conviction is that prosperous cows are speaking of how the curse of sin has been removed. Look closely to see Jesus hanging on the gum tree who paid for us; numbered with transgressors, either side.
We are empowered by the river of God, representing God’s spirit to release God’s presence and authority to bring heaven to earth. I believe our prayers can release blessings to remove the curse of droughts, floods, bushfires, pestilence, social injustice, wickedness and bring eternal salvation. And God is also giving wisdom, as we walk in our assignment like a Joseph, to tackle and solve the many problems we face, so our nation prospers, and people turn to God!
I titled my Blake prize entry, as “The 2020 vision of Hope for Australia.” This hope is the gospel. Jesus said, “Your kingdom come.”
7 cows and 7 reasons to HOPE
1. From left to right, firstly there is a small cow coming up out of the river. This means, the father’s heart is for young kids to find salvation, and they are being baptised in water and the Holy Spirit. Nurture the faith of the little ones.
Have you have wondered why are things are not so grand; only seeing small cows? God is encouraging you to keep going and saying: “Do not despise the day of small beginnings” in your ministry, business, new career or relationship.
2. From left to the right another bigger cow is emerging from the river. Youths are coming to Christ. Are you a youth facing many challenges? Maybe as a younger person you see the failings of older people around you and are afraid.
Be encouraged, David overcame Goliath as the river of God’s spirit enabled him, and he became a great leader. You can be like David. The bigger cow leads the small ones!
3. From left to right there is another cow with his tongue wagging and has a cape of grass. I hear God say to us, “Feed my sheep.” Those with hunger for his word will overcome. Elijah came to Elisha and threw his cloak over him. He would be Elijah’s successor.
God is always looking for successors. Are you like Elisha desiring to receive a double portion of the spirit of God to carry on kingdom legacy in society, in the arts or business etc….? Hunger for truth! Get healed emotionally, green grass speaks of healing.
4. Next is an enthusiastic cow wanting to jump over the others, with some grass on his nose. I was reminded of Jacob who rolled a great stone away when he saw his bride to be, to allow the shepherds access to the water. Christ saw us, his bride, and his grave-stone was rolled away, because death could not hold him down.
Nothing can keep you down too, but idolatry can slow us down; remove that grass! We are to worship God; not his creation or anything else. We need zeal with knowledge.
5. Lastly, the big cow speaks of Jesus leading us; he has eyes of God and of man; take a look! He is central to the charge and for us too.
6. One healthy cow in front of him portrays us as ambassadors; and we need five-fold ministry to take ground.
7. Another cow eats the foot of the other. We are to be mobilised and equipped to purge legalism, false teaching and licentiousness which bring disappointment and defeat.
Pray because this revival is even breaking out in parliament!
Who gets this vision, that 7 cows can change a nation…your nation!? The ones who know and confess: “Our Father who is In Heaven.(see photo)”
Mark Rusic was born in Melbourne and has a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering. He became a missionary to many, suffering hardship and poverty on Madura Island in Indonesia, in 1990 for about four years. He worked as a pastor-life coach with Hope International Ministries from 2002 to May 2023, playing a key role in raising up leaders and elders for the local Melbourne Hope church, which lead today. Mark has also been active in conducting yearly trips to remote Indigenous communities, bringing teams for training and outreach, which he initiated from 2015. He also established a salt and light ministry to empower saints of influence in the marketplace from 2017.
Mark is also an artist and an author and has written two books which are both a collection of his own paintings, photography, and poetry. These include ‘Iconic Melbourne of Australia’ and ‘Iconic Animals of Australia- With a voice to release your giant potential within,’ which are available now on booktopia.com.au and at leading book retailers. He has been counted among some of Australia’s best authors on several occasions through Dymocks since 2014 and continues to be a motivational speaker in various community groups, organisations, and churches.
He is currently pioneering his itinerant ministry to bless Indigenous people and empower the body of Christ, while working as an artist, author and speaker.